U.S. Government Resources Related to Blindness

There are a number of programs related to blindness within the federal government. Some programs serve all persons with vision loss, and others are specifically for adults or children. Many are within or related to the Department of Education, Office of Special Education and Rehabilitation Services. You will notice that there are many acronyms that are used for these various agencies and that they are listed adjacent to the agencies listing.

Each state has a federally funded program for both education of blind children, and the rehabilitation of blind adults. This page is divided into three sections: 1) services for blind and visually impaired adults and children, 2) services for children with vision loss, and 3) services for adults with vision loss.

Section I: Governmental Services for Blind and Visually Impaired Adults and Children

  1. Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) Webpage
    URL: http://www.ada.gov/
  2. Assistive Technology Centers
    State Programs to Assist Persons with Disabilities to find Assistive Technology Resources
    URL: https://www.ntac.blind.msstate.edu/information-and-resources/tasp/
  3. Department of Education
    URL: http://www.ed.gov
  4. Library of Congress, National Library Services for the Blind and Physically Handicapped (NLS)
    URL: http://www.loc.gov/nls/
  5. National Rehabilitation Information Center (NARIC)
    Contains a database of relevant journal articles, and research and practice monographs in both special education and rehabilitation.
    URL: http://www.naric.com/
  6. National Eye Institute
    URL: http://www.nei.nih.gov
  7. National Center on the Dissemination of Disability Research (NCDDR)
    URL: http://www.ncddr.org
  8. Office of Special Education and Rehabilitation Services (OSERS)
    URL: http://www.ed.gov/about/offices/list/osers/index.html

Section II: Governmental Services for Children with Vision Loss

  1. American Printing House for the Blind (APH)
    Resource for Educational Materials, Textbooks and Technical Assistance
    URL: http://www.aph.org
  2. Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA)
    URL: http://www.ed.gov/offices/OSERS/IDEA/the_law.html

Section III: Governmental Services for Adults with Vision Loss

  1. Client Assistance Program (CAP)
    Program of arbitration with state Vocational Rehabilitation agencies to assist in resolving advocacy and grievance concerns.
    URL: www.msdisabilities.com/client-assistance-program/
  2. Helen Keller National Center for Deaf Blind Youth and Adults (HKNC)
  3. National Institute on Disability, Independent Living, and Rehabilitation Research (NIDILRR)
    URL: http://www.acl.gov/programs/NIDILRR/
  4. Randolph-Sheppard State Programs, also known as the Business Enterprise Program (BEP)
    Self employment opportunities for the legally blind adults
    URL: http://www.blind.msstate.edu/training/business-enterprise-program/
  5. Rehabilitation Services Administration (RSA)
    URL: http://www.ed.gov/about/offices/list/osers/rsa/index.html
  6. State Vocational Rehabilitation Programs (VR)
    To assist with the training and employment of persons with vision loss.
    URL: https://www.ntac.blind.msstate.edu/information-and-resources/ncsab/